Sweet Pillow Talk
Who doesn’t love these miniature pasta that ressemble small fluffy pillows?! When the texture is right – light and soft – gnocchi are one of the best pasta to eat with any good sauce – sweet or savoury. Below is my take on sweet potato gnocchi.
Gluten & grain-free sweet potato gnocchi in butter, cinnamon, and chili maple syrup.
Servings: 55 pieces gnocchi
- 150 g quinoa flour + extra for dusting and rolling
- 420 g baked & peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder
- Cinnamon powder
- Chili flakes
- Maple syrup
- Put the baked and peeled sweet potatoes in a ricer and squeeze them out on a rolling mat.
- Mix flour and psyllium husk powder. Sprinkle the flour mixture generously on top of the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Use a dough slicer or a spoon to mix and blend the ingredients.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the dough has come together. You most probably need to add extra gluten-free flour as you go along. (I use buckwheat, too.) It’s all about the feel – soft inside, a bit sticky yet firm on the overall. The color should be a shade lighter than the original. Shape into a ball.
- Divide the dough into 4, and roll each smaller portion into a long cylindrical shape about 1.5 cm in diameter.
- Cut the elongated dough into small pieces about 2 cm each. Cover well in flour.
- Boil some water.
- Put in the gnocchi when it boils.
- Continue to let the water boil for a few minutes when the gnocchi surfaces, and take them out shortly.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the gnocchi. Toss.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of cinnamon and add some chili flakes. Toss.
- Pour about 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Toss.
- Shave some orange zest. (Optional) Serve warm.
1. Excess cut and shaped gnocchi dough should be stored in the freezer!
2. You stop adding flour when the dough is soft but firm when you lift it up. It is a
tad sticky but workable.
3. Sweet potatoes have more liquid than potatoes, it’s a good idea to add 1 tsp psyllium husk poweder to the flour.
4. For this recipe I used a total of about 175 g of quinoa flour including dusting.